Is hard water creating nuance in daily chores? Don’t worry you are not alone dealing with it. More than 80 percent of people of the US and UK are affected by hard water problems.
Water is a universal solvent naturally contains minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron etc during rainfall. When it goes through the rocks and soil minerals suspension takes place.
By water treatment, hard water is made usable. The main job of a water softener is to avert precipitation and limescale build up. Limescale effects appliances badly. They start degrading the products and studies show that 20 to 30 percent of appliances lifespan is decreased due to scaling.
Know About Water Hardness:
Water Hardness is of 2 Types:
- Temporary hardness
- Permanent hardness
Temporary Hardness: Temporary hardness involves fewer amounts of bicarbonate ions which can be removed by boiling water. Carbon dioxide gas is evaporated in this process. Therefore less soap scum is formed.
Permanent Hardness: Water containing calcium carbonate, chloride or sulfate which is hard to eradicate is known as permanent hard. For this soda and ion exchange, water softening processes is carried.
Tips to Maintain A Water Softener System:
If you get the right water softener installed at your home and maintain properly, it will increase the duration of appliances and will save your pocket too.
- Clean the Brine Tank: Modern softeners include smart brine tanks that rarely need cleaning. There is no harm in cleaning it once in a while for a smooth run. Before proceeding with the cleaning process always read the manual. Always clean it within 12 months.
- Use Right Salt: Any salt will damage your softener system. Any odd salt won’t work. For best result always use cubes or crystal salts that are specifically made for softeners. Check manual it is mentioned which salt your system requires and how much. Do as mentioned.
- Maintain Salt Level: Generally, people tend to forget this important thing. There is a certain mark to which salts need to be filled. Over or under salts both will affect the efficiency of softeners. As the salt decreases you start getting hard water. To avoid this issue check salt level in every 4 to 6 weeks. There are many factors like frequency, hardness level etc which lays an impact on this. As the technology is advanced many tech water softeners come with low salt indicators. It alarms when salt level is not appropriate. You can buy them too.
- Flushing Resin Beds: Flushing resin beds are necessary as they are always charged. This is known as regeneration. It helps in improving the output of the system. Many systems have this cycle link up still the traditional ones need to be cleansed. So flush resin beads once in a while. Many water softener systems come with 10 feet of hose for the regeneration cycle. If you require further line an additional line could be added with the same width keeping safe the drain pipe.
- Always keep an eye on Salt Bridges: The brine tank may develop a hardened salt bridge layer on the brine tank over a period. This is due to negligence, high temperature, low-quality salt or humidity. Salt bridges hamper the systems regeneration cycle. Clean the brine tank regularly to avoid this issue. You can buy a softener cleaning solution available in the market.
Cleaning and maintaining a water softening system enhances efficiency and decreases wastage. It ensures the safety and faults if any within the period. If any problem persists do call WSE professional for examination. Everything depends on your attentiveness and cleanliness, if you do your job the system will never fail. Your little care and time checking can save you from further hassles.